Seth is joined once again by Crazy Train Jonathan Bolick to talk The Rise Of Skywalker. Much like The Last Jedi, RoS has its share of fans who have either loved or disliked the film.
4:00 – THE RETURN OF PALPATINE
- Whether intentional or not, Palpatine’s return was similar to the Dark Empire comic series from the 1990s. It also followed past horror tropes.
- Rey and Kylo bring the “Force-Time” power to new heights, including transporting stuff back and forth.
9:30 – ADDRESSING THE BANTHA IN THE ROOM
- Reception seems to be the inverse of TLJ. Critics are mixed on it, but fans seem to be more receptive to TROS.
- Did this movie fix some of the ruffled feathers? JJ Abrams certainly retconned some of the more glaring issues that fans had without rocking the boat too much.
- Would things have been better had JJ done all three films? It seems that having multiple writers and directors caused a rift in direction.
- There was no vision like what George Lucas had for the previous movies. Or what Kevin Feige had for Marvel
- The decision to make Episode IX the final film wasn’t made until after TLJ was made. So it’s fair to presume Johnson made his movie under the impression that there will be several more films after his, rather than only one.
- Likewise, since TROS was made under the guidance that it would be the last one, JJ had to wrap up a lot of things from the previous films that he had no involvement with.
- Since everything had to be wound up in a single movie, other supporting characters had to take a back seat so the main heroes can save the day.
- In some cases with certain geek genres, there has always been a discourse between critics and fans.
- In the end, it was a fitting ending to all three trilogies.
26:00 – WHO BROUGHT BACK PALPATINE?
- Rumor has it that Colin Trevorrow’s story for Episode IX featured Luke heavily and had Matt Smith as the villain.
- Mark Hamill has told the story of George telling him they were making an Episode VII. Allegedly Carrie Fisher and Ian McDiarmid were present as well. Why would McDiarmid be there if there wasn’t a plan to bring back Palpatine?
- Return Of The Jedi was meant to be the final film, hence why Palpatine was killed off.
- If killing off Snoke so quickly brings back Palpatine, that is a good trade-off for many fans.
- Before the split between Lucas and Gary Kurtz, the plan was meant to be nine films, perhaps as many as 12, with The Emperor as the main villain throughout the series.
34:00 – FUTURE MOVIES OR SERIES?
- Several nuggets were dropped for what could be future movies or series. Lando? Zorii Bliss?
- Could we see characters back for an Episode X?
- Is Evil ever truly dead?
40:00 – MISSED OPPORTUNITIES
- Not having more Force Ghosts was a missed opportunity.
- Should Force Ghost Obi-Wan appear as Ewan McGregor or Alec Guinness?
45:30 – GOING FULL CIRCLE
- Palpatine having such a massive back-up plan shouldn’t be too surprising.
- Palpatine saying the line about the Dark Side can be a pathway was also used in Revenge Of The Sith to Anakin. Isn’t it possible that he did know how to cheat death and just never told Anakin?
- Wickett was wearing the headdress of a Chief.
- Force-Healing has been in the Legends lore, but this was the first time it was shown in a feature film.
- When Palpatine did the reverse and healed his body by taking life from Rey and Ben. This was also depicted in the Darth Plagueis novel.
- Palpatine’s death resembled the fight between him and Mace Windu in Revenge Of The Sith.
- When we first say Luke he threw the lightsaber away, and the last time we see him he catches it
- With the Han Solo vision, his final appearance in the Saga was not getting gutted like a fish,
- Han’s final line in the saga is “I know.”
1:00:15 – HOW DID OUR PREDICTIONS FARE?
- Palpatine was a Force Ghost (Wrong)
- Palpatine had been manipulating Kylo the whole time (Right)
- Luke will return in flesh and blood (Wrong)
- Anakin would be involved. (Half-Right, he wasn’t a ghost, we just heard his voice)
- Palpatine is alive (Right)
- Several Jedi will appear in ghost form, including Leia (Half-Right, we only got Luke and Leia)
- Lando and Chewie will survive (Right)
LINKS TO OTHER RISE OF SKYWALKER NEWS
If you liked what you heard, please click the subscription buttons on the left so you won’t miss any episodes. Have any opinions? Sound off below!
It’s Christmas time and Seth has a Christmas Playlist.